Resolve supports the ability to issue a credit note on an invoice, either in the full or partial amount of the invoice.
We’ll also send an email to your customer notifying them of the credit note. Once the credit note is issued:
- If your customer has not paid Resolve, then no further action is required on their part.
- If your customer has paid Resolve, they can contact us if they would like to apply their credit balance toward an open invoice or if they would like a refund.
How to issue credit notes
Credit notes can be issued via the Dashboard and are processed immediately. Once issued, you may request to void a credit note. If approved, our support team will automatically void the credit note for you.
You can issue more than one credit note against an invoice, but you cannot credit a total greater than that of the original invoice.
To issue a credit note via the Dashboard:
- Find the invoice you want to credit in the invoices page.
- Click the ••• icon to the right of the charge. From the resulting menu, select Issue credit note.
- Enter the amount in $ that you wish to credit.
- Select a reason for the credit note. If you select Other, you must provide an explanatory note that is attached to the refund.
- If desired, you may also enter a Credit note # or upload any files
- Click Issue credit note.
Alternatively, you can click into a specific invoice, and click Issue credit note, which will appear in a light pink box. The steps you will follow should be the same.
Open vs. Closed credit notes
Currently, credit notes are tied to a specific invoice in Resolve. If a credit note is issued on an open invoice, that credit note will automatically be applied toward that invoice's balance. This creates a closed credit note. However, if a credit note is issued on a full paid invoice, or is issued on a partially paid invoice in the amount greater than the open balance, then you will create an open credit note. This will go towards your customer's overall credit balance, which can be used toward their open invoices in Resolve.
We send your customers a Weekly Statement email that includes their open credit balances, as well as instructions for how to use them.